The Secret to Picking the Perfect People For Your Wedding PartySeptember 1, 2017
- When you mention bridesmaids and groomsmen, a few things come to mind: infamous bridesmaids’ dresses, the best man’s speech, symmetry between the two parties.
- Â However, these are the secondary issues when it comes to choosing a wedding party for your wedding in Destin. Actually, the origin of bridesmaids and groomsmen can be traced back to ancient Rome. There, the bride and groom had to have ten witnesses for their nuptials, so each would bring five people. And just where did the tradition of the wedding party having to wear such fanciful clothing come from? The Romans believed vengeful spirits would try to harm the newlyweds, so the wedding party dressed like the bride and groom to trick the spirits, in hopes no harm would come to the newly betrothed.
- From the very inception of this tradition, the task of the wedding party has been to help the couple protect their marriage. Over centuries and millennia, however, it has evolved into what can sometimes be a task of familial obligation, social status, or pure symmetry. However, the secret to choosing the perfect wedding party is go with the ancient Romans’ wisdom-â€”choose those who will help you protect your marriage.
- Â Discard notions that your wedding party has to follow certain rules, or any for that matter. Forget about the age, height, relationship status, or even the gender of your wedding party. Choose the people who love you and your soon-to-be-spouse, and will be there long after the reception ends.
- Â In some cultures, those close to the married couple meet with them during marital trials to remind them of why they chose to marry and love one another. This sort of collective remembering and investment in the couple’s happiness aids their success. It’s this exact investment in your relationship’s success that you want to consider when you invest in the people who join your wedding party.
- Take it from this bride, who asked her 92-year-old grandmother to be her bridesmaid. “She’s the closest person to me…my wedding wouldn’t have been complete without her,” the bride told People Magazine.
- How about this couple who decided to have their loyal dogs as their maid of honor and best man? The pair of malamutes had Go-Pros attached to their collars as they made their way down the aisle to their spot of honor.
- The bottom line is, your wedding party truly is about the people (or pets) who love and support you the most. Choose them well.
This entry was posted in Tips and tagged Bridesmaids tips, Wedding Party. Bookmark the permalink.